|Formerly:||Winnipeg Inn, Westin Hotel Winnipeg, The Lombard|
|Address:||2 Lombard Place|
|Use:||The Fairmont Hotel|
|Other Work:||1976, 1980,1982, 1983, 1986, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, Interior alterations|
|Architects:||Smith Carter Searle in association with Skidmore Owings & Merrill (New York City)|
|Firms:||Smith Carter Searle, Skidmore Owings & Merrill|
|Engineers:||Granek & Chisvan, consulting engineer (Toronto)|
|Contractors:||Poole Construction Ltd.|
|Tours:||Part of the QR Code Tour|
The Fairmont Hotel, originally the Winnipeg Inn, was designed by Smith Carter Searle, in association with Skidmore Owings & Merrill. Constructed between 1968 and 1970, the 21-level hotel occupies a prominent position on the Winnipeg skyline. It is adjacent to the Richardson Building.
The structure was built with reinforced, site-cast concrete, with infill concrete block. Notable modern elements include the use of exposed concrete, recessed windows, and the presence of visible aggregate on the overhanging entranceway. The style of the building echoes the heavy, simple design of many of the other office and hotel towers built downtown during this period.
- Plan area: 26,085 sq. ft. (2,423.3 sq. m)
- Gross floor area: 252,183 sq. ft. (23,427.8 sq. m)
- Martin Cash, "Westin plans nine-storey addition," Winnipeg Free Press, March 20, 1990, p. 3.
- Wally Dennison, "Manitoba craftsmanship giving hotel new look," Winnipeg Free Press, June 12, 1985, p. 41.
- Pat Hanna, "Winnipeg Inn - A plush addition to city's convention, entertainment facilities," Manitoba Business Journal, 6, 8 (September 1970) p. 15-16.
- "Important Addition to Visitor Accomodation in Winnipeg," Greater Winnipeg Industrial Topics, 29, 1 (January 1969).
- "Interior finishing under way at the Winnipeg Inn," Manitoba Business Journal, 6, 3 (March 1970), p. 35.
- Geoff Kirbyson, "Hotel Jewel Changing Hands," Winnipeg Free Press, July 20, 2000, p. B7.
- Charles Thompson, "Downtown Winnipeg Enjoys Hotel Building Boom," Manitoba Business Journal, 5 (April/May 1969), p. 38-39.