Lutheran Church of the Redeemer
|Address:||59 Academy Road|
|Architects:||Macleod and Reimer|
This 1962 building, the Lutheran Church of the Redeemer, replaced an earlier Lutheran church on the same site. Built of brick, glass and Tyndall limestone, the structure is dominated by the tall A-frame of the church’s chapel. Inside the building are stained glass and a pulpit salvaged from the earlier church located here.
- Late 1930s, Congregation formed
- 1937, First building committee formed
- 1939, Current property purchased from the City of Winnipeg
- 1940, Enderton caveat lifted from property
- October 1941, Parsonage built by Fred May
- 1946, First Church designed by architect John Semmens (construction cost, $60,000)
- 1957, First Church demolished
- 1957, Parish Hall constructed
- 1962-1963, Existing edifice demolished to accommodate the rapidly growing congregation.
- 1962, Construction begins on present edifice
- A-Frame church, assembled with glulam beams, a reinforced concrete foundation and faced with local rough hewn Tyndall stone
- The current modern edifice replaced a previous church, fashioned in a Gothic Revival style
- The interior walls of the church are finished in honey coloured glazed brick
- Altar of Italian Battachino marble
- The windows within the sanctuary depict Christ carrying the cup
- Cost of construction, $175,000
- Sanctuary seats 460
- Parish Hall, approximate cost of construction $120,000
- Parish Hall seats 400
- Lillian Gibbons. "A Mid-Winter Project." Winnipeg Free Press, February 1,1958.
- Lillian Gibbons. "Lutheran Roots Run Deep." Winnipeg Free Press, January 19, 1957.
- Randy R Rostecki. Crescentwood: A History. Winnipeg: The Crescentwood Home Owners Association, 1993.
- Staff Writer. "Lutheran Church of the Redeemer." Winnipeg Tribune, February 23, 1957.
- Staff Writer. "160-Seat church Wrecked." Winnipeg Tribune, June 6, 1962.