St. Paul's Anglican Church
|Address:||830 North Drive|
|Use:||Place of worship|
|Original Use:||Place of worship|
|Other Work:||1952, Hall constructed|
|Architects:||John W. Graham|
This church was designed by University of Manitoba graduate and professor John W. Graham, who was among the figures responsible for transforming the school into a leading program in the embrace of modern architecture in Canada during the post-war years. According to Graham's description of the building in his 1960 book Winnipeg Architecture: The Red River Settlement, 1831-1960 it is a: "A parish church serving 400 families. The plan takes advantage of a very restricted site. A roof lantern admits light down onto the altar which is moved forward accommodating an altar rail on all sides. The choir is located beyond the altar behind an open wood screen. The carved face of the altar was designed by the architect and the sculpture of St.Paul by the entrance was designed and executed by Gwynyth Young."
- Late 1920s, Parish Hall constructed
- 1947, Parish Hall remodeled to become church, former church used as Parish Hall
- 1952, New Parish Hall constructed
- 1958, Construction begins on new church (old church demolished)
|Suburb:||Point Road, Fort Garry|
- Church Editor. "New Edifice In St Paul's 38th year". Winnipeg Free Press, March 15, 1958.
- John W. Graham. Winnipeg Architecture: The Red River Settlement, 1831-1960.. Winnipeg: University of Manitoba Press, 1960.
- Kelly Crossman. A Study of Anglican Church Buildings in Manitoba. Manitoba Culture, Heritage and Recreation, 1989.
- Theodore Matoff. "Architectural Expressions of Faith". Winnipeg Tribune. February 27, 1965.