Willson Stationery was founded by H. Willson after purchasing the Ford Stationery Company in 1900 and rebranding it. The company specialized in office supplies, including furniture, loose-leaf ledgers, blank books and typewriters. Willson partnered with G. Silvester, a hardware and lumber merchant, and built the Silvester-Willson Building at 222 McDermot in 1904. Willson Stationery went on to occupy three floors of the building and expanded to multiple cities before shutting its doors in the 1960s.
This is one the earliest examples of a painted logo on the side of a building. Most companies opted to paint their name or slogan on the front, to gain the most profile. There are only a handful that branded their business and added those graphic elements to the sign outside their business.
More information about 222 McDermot Avenue.
- Willson Stationary ghost sign on east wall
- Solid brick with rusticated limestone details
- Raised basement
- Belt courses
- Corbelled brick panels
- Cornices, entabulatures
- Straight-topped windows grouped under arches