298 Garry was constructed in 1909 by Smith and Sharp with architectural work by John D. Atchison. The Bank of Montreal purchased the lot to construct a new building on the site, where it conducted business until 1964.
The building is three storeys high; the foundation and quoins are made of red sandstone and granite. The building is framed with a steel skeleton and concrete. The exterior of the building maintains much of its original work. The corner entrance is framed with fluted columns, wreaths, and the date of construction, all carved in stone. The building is topped with a cornice and parapet, and although parts of the parapet have been removed, the cartouche remains.
The main corner entrance of the building opened to a vestibule which led to the large banking hall. The interior was designed with a Roman coffered ceiling with white marble columns and tiling. A secondary corner entrance to the south of the building was meant for employee access. The entrance led to a caged elevator to the upper level offices.
With the departure of the Bank of Montreal and a new owner coming in, 298 Garry had to be redesigned. The new owners, Guardian Finance Corporation, hired Stecheson Katz Architecture for the 1964 alterations to the building. This redesign also included mounting the words "Canada Permanent" to the exterior of the building. In the 1980s Comcheq Services Limited became the new owners and replaced the lettering with "Telpay." Remains of the previous letters can still be seen.
|Materials:||Steel frame, red sandstone, white marble for the interior|
- Three storeys
- Corner entrances
- Fluted columns and carved details surround entrance
- Decorative parapet and cornice
- Caged elevator
- Roman coffered ceiling
- White marble columns and tiling