The Earn International Building, comprised of two pre-1900 brick warehouses, is located at the busy intersection of Princess Street and McDermot Avenue in Winnipeg's Exchange District, a national historic site of Canada. The two structures, the taller Miller, Morse (1887, at the north end) and the Mackenzie and Powis (1891, at the south end) warehouses are joined internally.
The Earn International Building is a fine Romanesque Revival complex at an important intersection on the western edge of Winnipeg's Exchange District. Its components, two buildings of similar design and construction that also are among the area's oldest warehouses, form a critical link that maintains the historic continuity of two major streetscapes. The structures' compatible yet distinctive designs are the work of a single architect, George Browne, and their final appearance suggests developments typical of the late 1800s: the Mackenzie and Powis Warehouse and the lower section of the Miller, Morse Warehouse both feature highly animated facade treatments, while the upper storeys of Miller, Morse, which are additions required by growing demands for space, are carried out in a more restrained design.
Source: City of Winnipeg Standing Policy Committee on Property and Development Minutes, August 24, 1998
|Brick with rubblestone foundation