The subject of on-again off-again discussions since 1950, the new Brandon City Hall finally opened in February 1971. Costing about $1.2 Million, it is triangular in plan, with the 2-storey-high sides of the triangle on the north and west, and the angled glass-walled atrium facing southeast. A 3 storey tower at the northwest corner contains stairs, elevator and mechanical services. A triangular landscaped forecourt in front of the atrium wall leads to the main entrance.
- The building is setback slightly from Louise Avenue by a small landscaped area that slopes down to allow a horizontal band of windows at basement level. A landscaped park, open to 9th street, extends to the south. The park features a row of tall evergreens on its western edge, a small fountain, three flagpoles and a low masonry wall with words “Brandon City Hall”.
- The north and west sides of City Hall form an L-shaped administrative block clad with tan brick and horizontal bands of dark bronze windows. The glass atrium wall is finished with bronze tinted glass and bronze aluminum framing. The northwest corner tower is clad with same metal and glass.
- Inside, the atrium is open and spacious, with the ‘floating’ council chambers, a sunken exhibition space and landscaping elements. Most public functions of the municipal government are accessible from this space.