E. Murray Simpson was born in Winnipeg on March 9, 1926. In his early years, he attended Wellington, General Wolfe, and Daniel McIntyre Schools. He attended the University of Manitoba, graduating with a Bachelor of Architecture in 1948. He then did post-graduate studies in Industrial Design at the Illinois Institute of Technology, graduating in 1950.
Simpson began his career working with various firms, including Wallace & Aitkens, G.A. Baert, and Moody & Moore. In September of 1951, Simpson began working for the firm Green Blankstein Russell (GBR). After serving as Project Architect for eight years at GBR’s head office in Winnipeg, Simpson relocated to become the Brandon Office Manager for GBR’s new Brandon office.
Simpson was a member of the Manitoba Association of Architects and the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada. He had served as the president of the Brandon Allied Art Centre as well as the Art Gallery of Southwestern Manitoba. In his free time, Simpson enjoyed fencing as well as designing and painting theatre sets for the ballet and the Brandon School of Music.
Simpson passed away on February 17, 2009.
- Polo Park - Simpsons-Sears, Winnipeg
- 150 McTavish Avenue East, Brandon General Hospital, Brandon, Manitoba, 1962
- 403 13th Street, Parish Hall at St Matthews Cathedral, Brandon, Manitoba, 1963
- Brandon Sun Building, Brandon
- 270 18th Street, Brodie Building at the Brandon University, Brandon, Manitoba, 1969 - 1972
- 731 1st Street, Manitoba Public Insurance Building, Brandon, Manitoba, 1971
- 333 15th Street, Hobbs Manor, Brandon
- Garden Lounge at Fairview, Brandon
- "E. Murray Simpson Architect," Financial Post, Free Press, and Winnipeg Tribune, 03/19/1966
- "E. Murray Simpson Obituary," Winnipeg Free Press, 02/21/2009
- GBR Newsletter Vol. 2 No. 2, March 1960
- GBR Newsletter, Vol. 1 No. 6, July 1959