Riddell Hall, University of Winnipeg
|Address:||515 Portage Avenue|
|Use:||Cafeteria and gymnasium|
|Original Use:||Cafeteria and gymnasium|
|Architects:||Green Blankstein Russell and Associates|
|Contractors:||Arlington Builders Ltd.|
|Tours:||Part of the QR Code Tour|
The hall is named after John Henry Riddell, principal of the former Wesley College from 1917 until 1938. Riddell Hall was constructed as part of the rapidly expanding United College between 1961 and 1962 and originally housed a cafeteria, gymnasium and residence.
Riddell Hall was, at the time of construction, connected by tunnels to Sparling, Graham and Manitoba halls
- The modest one-storey building was built with a reinforced concrete frame and concrete block walls, faced with brown brick
- Riddell Hall is now largely obscured from view by Centennial Hall
- "Student Centre Close to Becoming a Reality," University of Winnipeg Journal (Spring 1996), p. 29.
- University of Manitoba Libraries, Department of Archives and Special Collections, Winnipeg Tribune Subject Clipping Research Files, Microfilm Roll #148, file on "University if Winnipeg 1931-1964." (contains several stories on plans for and construction of Riddell and Graham halls, including background on the members of the Riddell family after whom the gym/dining hall complex was named.)
- University of Winnipeg Archives, VI. All Colleges #26 -- United College and University of Winnipeg -- Annual Reports 1960-1981, AC-26-2. The Graham and Riddell Hall projects are discussed in the "Principal's Report 1961-62", pp. 1-4, and "The Principal's Report 1962-63", pp. 3-5.
- University of Winnipeg Archives, VI. All Colleges #33 -- Board of Regents Minutes, memos and Correspondence 1932-1965, AC-33-3, File #1 for the period of 1960-62. Key decision points about plans and construction contracts for the mens residence, dining hall and gymnasium are found in : "minutes of the Board of Regents, February 22, 1960 and January 30, February 8 and June 28, 1961. (Noted: Leslie Russell represented Green Blankstein and Russell at the February 8, 1961 meeting at which the architectural plans are approved and the firm was authorized to proceed with detailed drawings. Subsequent minutes include construction progress reports. Completion of these buildings were delayed by building trade strikes.)
- University of Winnipeg Archives, VI. All Colleges #33 -- Board of Regents Minutes, memos and Correspondence 1932-1965, AC-33-3, File #2 for the period of 1962-1965. (Final costs of Riddell and Graham Hall projects (excluding furniture) were reported in: "Minutes of the Board of Regents", September 16, 1963.)