St. Alphonsus School

Address:343 Munroe Avenue
Original Use:Educational
Other Work:Additions in 1954, and 1990
Architects:Green Blankstein Russell
Firms:Green Blankstein Russell

More Information

St. Alphonsus School was established in 1921 as an adjunct to the church of the same name; it was just west of here at the corner of Munroe and Brazier and is operated by the Sisters of St. Joseph.

This new school, opened in 1950, is for students from pre-kindergarten to Grade 8, 230 children in all present; within four years of opening another four classrooms were required, and another flush of students came from the nearly St. Clements School when it closed in the early 1960s.

Design Characteristics

Suburb:Munroe West
  • A renewed interest in private school education increased enrolment in the 1980s, which precipitated in another addition on this school, including a large gym wing on the north side
  • At that time, the old school was given some extensive alterations and was tied to the new portions with a covering of limestone
  • What exists now is a two storey academic wing at a right angle to the gym wing; all original details are obscured or made over
  • Students visit nearby Munroe Junior High by agreement for industrial arts